Dr. James Krieger received the DCSB Best Postdoctoral Associate Award of the Year 2019. He was nominated by his mentor, Dr. Ivet Bahar. Over the past year, he has contributed to 6 articles listed below. James is the one of three first authors in a seminal paper on the signature dynamics of proteins, Shared signature dynamics tempered by local fluctuations enables fold adaptability and specificity, published in Mol Biol Evol. He made a major contribution to this study in which he demonstrated the existence of a dynamics signature shared by the members of each protein family, and how the signature dynamics differentiates to enable functional specificity among family members. James will be leaving the University of Pittsburgh in March 2020 for the next step in his career, to work on modeling the structure and dynamics of cryo-EM resolved biological assemblies as a Research Scientist at the University of Madrid, Spain. We wish James the best in his new position and thank him for all of his valuable contributions.
- Lee JY, Krieger JM, Li H, Bahar I. (2019) Pharmmaker: Pharmacophore Modeling and Hit Identification Based on Druggability Simulations.Protein Sci, 29(1):76-86. PMID: 31576621 PMCID:6933858
- Zhang S,* Li H,* Krieger JM,*Bahar I. (2019) Shared signature dynamics tempered by local fluctuations enables fold adaptability and specificity. Mol Biol Evol 36: 2053-2068. PMID: 31028708 PMCID: 6736388
- Mikulska-Ruminska K, Shrivastava IH, Krieger JM, Zhang S, Li H, Bayir H, Wenzel SE, VanDemark AP, Kagan VE, Bahar I.(2019) Characterization of differential dynamics, specificity, and allostery of lipoxygenase family members. J Chem Inf Model 59: 2496-2508. PMID: 30762363 PMCID: 6541894
- COS Sorzano, A Jiménez, J Mota, JL Vilas, D Maluenda, M Martínez, E Ramírez-Aportela, T Majtner, J Segura, R Sánchez-García, Y Rancel, L del Caño, P Conesa, R Melero, S Jonic, J Vargas, F Cazals, Z Freyberg, JM Krieger,I Bahar, R Marabini, JM Carazo (2019) Survey of the analysis of continuous conformational variability of biological macromolecules by electron microscopy. Acta Crystallog F Struct Biol Commun 75: 19-32. PMID: 30605122 PMCID: 6317454
- Lee JY, Krieger JM, Herguedas B, García-Nafría J, Dutta A, Shaikh SA, Greger IH, Bahar I. (2019) Druggability Simulations and X-ray Crystallography Reveal a Ligand-binding Site in the GluA3 AMPA Receptor N-terminal Domain.Structure 27: 241-252. PMID: 30528594 PMCID: 6365164
- Zhang Y., Doruker P., Kaynak B., Zhang S, Krieger JM, Li, H & Bahar I. (2019) Intrinsic dynamics is evolutionarily optimized to enable allosteric behavior. Curr Opin Struct Biol, 62:14-21 PMID: 31785465